Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Big Picture

I used to love puzzles. Absolutely adored them. They were cool, and I enjoyed putting the pieces together to make the bigger picture. I especially enjoyed the ones when I was younger that were only about 30-40 pieces. Children's puzzles were the best, especially as you got older. Did I love the challenge of a 100+piece puzzle every now and again, yes! But honestly, I always needed my dad's help with those.

There aren't a lot of activities I can remember my dad sitting down to do with me, but I can remember our puzzles. He loves them as well. He always challenged me with ones with more pieces, but never let me do it alone. He was always available for help or advice at any turn.

The first thing he would as me was, "Where is the box?" if I didn't already have it set up. I would point to it, how it was laying down, out of sight usually, and only referred to when I thought I needed it. I was often convinced that I could figure it out myself. He would always remind me that I can't put together the puzzle correctly with out the bigger picture. "You didn't make the puzzle Brittany," he would say, "so you need the actual design." Who knew that puzzles would teach me a lesson one day.

My dad has always been very wise, but I've come to find that my heavenly father is wiser. He is the same way with my life. When I was younger and immature, I loved putting my life together into whatever I liked or I thought fit the bigger picture. But as I got older, the pieces of my life grew and it became a lot harder to put it all together, especially since I could never see the top of the box.

Today, or rather this week I was reminded of those puzzles. How my dad was always around to help, and because he was bigger, could always see the picture I had trouble piecing together myself. God reminded me of the same thing. He gave me the "box" and let me get a glimpse of the bigger picture.

Its about serving and Glorifying Him...nothing else. Every piece of the puzzle adds up to that. Everything ultimately is about God and bring Him glory. My wedding, my marriage, which is more important, and every point of my life has to keep the big picture in mind.

I felt like this week I was reminded by my Dad (my heavenly Father), to "set the box up" and keep the bigger picture in mind. I may not know every piece of the puzzle, and its ok to surrender to His "master puzzle maker/assembler" skills. It's not always fun, or comfortable but in the end, the picture will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment